HC commutes death penalty to 30-yr life term
Nagpur: The Nagpur bench of Bombay High Court has commuted the death sentence of a 38-year-old man, who had brutally killed his wife and a teenaged daughter in April 2011, to life imprisonment for 30 years.
A Bombay High Court division bench of Justices A P Lavande and Arun Choudhary of Bombay High Court here yesterday did not confirm the death sentence, awarded by first adhoc Additional Sessions Judge K L Vyas to accused - Prakash Vinayak Shinganapure.
The HC awarded Shinganapure life imprisonment for a minimum of 30 years.
Prakash had killed his wife Pranita and 13-year-old daughter Shreya on April 7, 2011 at their home in a city locality.
The accused stabbed his wife as many as 62 times and daughter 45 times with a knife and also inflected about 20 injuries on himself in an attempt to end his life, over poor financial conditions.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 on the convict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter