HC directs State to constitute additional MCOCA Court in Thane
Mumbai: Expressing concern over pendency of cases, the Bombay High Court on Friday directed the Maharashtra government to establish an additional Court in nearby Thane to hear cases filed under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
The Court was hearing a petition filed by an undertrial through the jail urging for a direction to state government to set up adequate number of special courts to hear cases filed under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) in Thane, Navi Mumbai, Raigad and Ratnagiri district.
Currently, there is only one special Court in Thane to hear MCOCA cases. As a result, MCOCA cases from Thane and the four nearby districts come up for hearing in Thane Court.
Justice A M Khanvilkar and Justice A R Joshi further directed the state to ensure that cases other than MCOCA were immediately transferred from the MCOCA Court in Thane to some other Courts so that the cases do not pile up in one Court.
Advocate Pankaj Kavale who appeared for the petitioner, Lakhan Naik, argued that it had come to his knowledge that there were 52 cases pending in MCOCA Court at Thane. He said there was instances to show that in some cases undertrials were languishing in jails since last eight years.
The petitioner contended that if separate MCOCA Courts were established in Navi Mumbai, Raigad and Ratnagiri districts then the cases would not be transferred to Thane MCOCA Court and this would result in speedy disposal of matters.
The petitioner argued that state government had not constituted the Review Committee to look into the cases filed against accused. Under the existing laws and Supreme Court guidelines, such committees should be regularly appointed to review the cases filed under MCOCA, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended