HC directs State to constitute additional MCOCA Court in Thane
Mumbai: Expressing concern over pendency of cases, the Bombay High Court on Friday directed the Maharashtra government to establish an additional Court in nearby Thane to hear cases filed under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
The Court was hearing a petition filed by an undertrial through the jail urging for a direction to state government to set up adequate number of special courts to hear cases filed under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) in Thane, Navi Mumbai, Raigad and Ratnagiri district.
Currently, there is only one special Court in Thane to hear MCOCA cases. As a result, MCOCA cases from Thane and the four nearby districts come up for hearing in Thane Court.
Justice A M Khanvilkar and Justice A R Joshi further directed the state to ensure that cases other than MCOCA were immediately transferred from the MCOCA Court in Thane to some other Courts so that the cases do not pile up in one Court.
Advocate Pankaj Kavale who appeared for the petitioner, Lakhan Naik, argued that it had come to his knowledge that there were 52 cases pending in MCOCA Court at Thane. He said there was instances to show that in some cases undertrials were languishing in jails since last eight years.
The petitioner contended that if separate MCOCA Courts were established in Navi Mumbai, Raigad and Ratnagiri districts then the cases would not be transferred to Thane MCOCA Court and this would result in speedy disposal of matters.
The petitioner argued that state government had not constituted the Review Committee to look into the cases filed against accused. Under the existing laws and Supreme Court guidelines, such committees should be regularly appointed to review the cases filed under MCOCA, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video