HC directs State to constitute additional MCOCA Court in Thane
Mumbai: Expressing concern over pendency of cases, the Bombay High Court on Friday directed the Maharashtra government to establish an additional Court in nearby Thane to hear cases filed under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
The Court was hearing a petition filed by an undertrial through the jail urging for a direction to state government to set up adequate number of special courts to hear cases filed under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) in Thane, Navi Mumbai, Raigad and Ratnagiri district.
Currently, there is only one special Court in Thane to hear MCOCA cases. As a result, MCOCA cases from Thane and the four nearby districts come up for hearing in Thane Court.
Justice A M Khanvilkar and Justice A R Joshi further directed the state to ensure that cases other than MCOCA were immediately transferred from the MCOCA Court in Thane to some other Courts so that the cases do not pile up in one Court.
Advocate Pankaj Kavale who appeared for the petitioner, Lakhan Naik, argued that it had come to his knowledge that there were 52 cases pending in MCOCA Court at Thane. He said there was instances to show that in some cases undertrials were languishing in jails since last eight years.
The petitioner contended that if separate MCOCA Courts were established in Navi Mumbai, Raigad and Ratnagiri districts then the cases would not be transferred to Thane MCOCA Court and this would result in speedy disposal of matters.
The petitioner argued that state government had not constituted the Review Committee to look into the cases filed against accused. Under the existing laws and Supreme Court guidelines, such committees should be regularly appointed to review the cases filed under MCOCA, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks