HC dismisses poll petition against Supriya Sule
Mumbai: In a relief to Supriya Sule,
Baramati MP and the daughter of NCP president Sharad Pawar,
Bombay High Court on Friday dismissed a petition challenging her
election on the ground that she had purchased a property in
Singapore, and attained citizenship of that country.
The court today held that though Sule had property in
Singapore, it did not mean that she owed allegiance to the
Justice RC Chavan said that a person who has business
interests in a foreign country, or even a tourist, has to
abide by the host country`s laws, and that does not amount to
being a citizen there.
Mrinalini Kakde, who had lost to Sule in the Lok Sabha
election in 2009, had filed the present petition, seeking that
the election be invalidated, because Sule had acquired
citizenship of Singapore, ceasing to an Indian citizen.
Sule and her husband Sadanand owned shares in two
companies in Singapore. The companies owned a flat there,
where the couple lived whenever they visited the country.
Justice Chavan held that having business interest in a
foreign country cannot be equated to compromising the
interests of the country of origin.
"There is no difficulty in concluding that respondent
(Sule) holds property, with clarification that "holding" does
mean she owns property. She owns shares of a company which
owns the apartment. This makes her the licensee holder of the
property through the company."
But, if it were to be held that having a business
interest in a foreign country should make the person forsake
interests in India, it would make it impossible for Indians to
venture in businesses outside, the judge remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside