HC frowns upon grant of bail to accused in sexual abuse case
Mumbai: Expressing displeasure about the grant of bail to five employees of a shelter home, who are accused of sexually abusing minor inmates, the Bombay High Court on Monday said lower courts should take a serious view of such cases.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice M S Sanklecha was hearing a suo motu (on its own) petition based on news-reports on alleged sexual abuse of 35 minor girls at a Nashik shelter home.
The court was today informed that a case was registered against the five employees on March 25 and they were arrested. However, a magistrate`s court granted them bail on April 19.
Irked, the Chief Justice said, "Our magistrates should take a serious view in such cases. We have earlier directed for expedition of trials in such cases."
The High Court also rapped the state government for not seeking cancellation of bail.
Advocate General Darius Khambata told the court that a show-cause notice had been issued to the trustees of the shelter home, asking why its licenses should not be revoked.
"Fifty-nine out of 62 inmates have been shifted to another shelter home in Pune. The remaining three are in their guardian`s custody," Khambata said.
The court asked the government to produce a copy of the magistrate`s bail order, adjourning the hearing till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj