HC nod to children`s function at Shivaji Park
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday gave
permission to a school to hold `Bal Din` (Children`s Day)
function at Shivaji Park, a silence zone, on January 16.
Bal Mohan Vidya Mandir had approached the HC seeking
permission to hold the function at Shivaji Park. The sprawling
ground in central Mumbai has been been declared a silence
zone, where use of loudspeakers has been banned by the HC.
A Division Bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and
Justice Roshan Dalvi allowed the plea, observing the function
was for children who should be encouraged for such activities.
It also stated that henceforth the school can hold the
function every year without having to approach the court.
The school had approached the court after the
Maharashtra Government and municipal corporation refused to
grant permission citing the earlier HC order.
"Children these days are often busy watching TV
channels. Hence, such functions should be encouraged," the
The function, which is to be held a day after Makar
Sankranti (a festival associated with kite flying), will see
felicitation of children followed by a cultural programme.
The Government had refused permission stating they
cannot allow any function to be held at Shivaji Park 15 days
prior to Republic Day, Independence Day and Maharashtra Day.
In response to a court query, petitioner`s advocate A
S Khandeparkar said the nearest hospital from the park,
Hinduja Hospital, was at a distance of 1.5 kilometres.
Shivaji Park was declared a silence zone due to its
proximity to an educational institute - which happens to be
Bal Mohan Vidya Mandir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand