HC notice to ATS against Jundal`s solitary confinement
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday issued notices to Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) and Arthur Road Jail authorities seeking their response to a petition filed by Abu Jundal, alleged LeT operative and a key 26/11 handler, against his solitary confinement.
Jundal had petitioned the high court yesterday seeking to be moved out of solitary confinement in the cell where Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab was lodged before being hanged at Pune`s Yerawada jail.
A division bench of Justices P V Hardas and Mridula Bhatkar has posted the matter for hearing next week.
"The applicant (Jundal) has been kept in solitary confinement since six months. Due to this he is depressed and thus not able to think clearly. Like all undertrials Jundal should also be kept in the common barracks and allowed certain privileges," the petition pleaded.
Earlier, in a petition before the lower court, Jundal had claimed he hallucinated about Kasab. The court had then ordered his psychiatric evaluation, but jail authorities found him mentally sound.
The present petition also claims that he is mentally unfit and was under medication when lodged in Delhi`s Tihar jail.
Jundal, who is alleged to have taught 26/11 terrorists Hindi and had spoken to them during the attacks from a makeshift control room in Karachi, is being tried by a Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court here for alleged involvement in the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
On May 8, 2006, the ATS had seized a huge cache of arms and ammunition including 30 kg RDX, 10 AK-47 assault rifles and 3,200 bullets near Aurangabad and Jundal is one of the accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh