HC rap for Navy for inaction against high-rise bldg near base
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday rapped
authorities concerned for not doing anything about a
residential building which is close to INS Trata, the Naval
base in South Mumbai`s Worli area.
The court had earlier sought the views of the Navy in
this case, where a resident of the 18-storey building moved
the court after BEST cut off the building`s power supply.
The building, `Har Siddhi`, was constructed under SRA
scheme (where builder gets extra FSI for rehabilitating slum
dwellers), but lacks required permissions from corporation.
The building has not received `No Objection Certificate` from
Navy, as required under the law.
BEST cut the power supply on May 3.
Lawyer appearing for Navy submitted that there are
missile-based installations near the building which will be a
The vacation bench of Justices S J Kathawala and R G
Ketkar, however, pointed out that the Navy had done nothing so
far, though the building came up in 2009.
"You`ve just been writing letters to various authorities.
This is how you protect national security?.. You sit tight and
let national security go to hell?" Justice Kathawala said.
The court also took the BEST to task for cutting off
power without giving show cause notice to the residents. BEST
lawyer said that as an interim measure, it would restore the
power, subject to court`s final decision. Matter will be heard
on June 14 now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan