Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday rapped
authorities concerned for not doing anything about a
residential building which is close to INS Trata, the Naval
base in South Mumbai`s Worli area.
The court had earlier sought the views of the Navy in
this case, where a resident of the 18-storey building moved
the court after BEST cut off the building`s power supply.
The building, `Har Siddhi`, was constructed under SRA
scheme (where builder gets extra FSI for rehabilitating slum
dwellers), but lacks required permissions from corporation.
The building has not received `No Objection Certificate` from
Navy, as required under the law.
BEST cut the power supply on May 3.
Lawyer appearing for Navy submitted that there are
missile-based installations near the building which will be a
The vacation bench of Justices S J Kathawala and R G
Ketkar, however, pointed out that the Navy had done nothing so
far, though the building came up in 2009.
"You`ve just been writing letters to various authorities.
This is how you protect national security?.. You sit tight and
let national security go to hell?" Justice Kathawala said.
The court also took the BEST to task for cutting off
power without giving show cause notice to the residents. BEST
lawyer said that as an interim measure, it would restore the
power, subject to court`s final decision. Matter will be heard
on June 14 now.