HC rapping officers in custodial death case
Mumbai: Rapping the police for "abusing its power" which allegedly resulted in the custodial death of a 34-year-old man, the Bombay High Court on Thursday directed Maharashtra government to initiate action against the officers who were in-charge of Ulhasnagar police station at the time.
The division bench of Justices P B Majmudar and R D
Dhanuka was hearing a public interest litigation filed by
social activist Hardas Tharwani, seeking probe by an
independent agency into alleged murder of Sunil Shelke by
Ulhasnagar police in neighbouring Thane district.
Shelke was arrested on April 12 last year on the charge
of assaulting his wife. The next day he was found dead in the
lock-up. Earlier in February, another person, Narayan Rathod,
too died at the same police station.
Public prosecutor Pandurang Pol said state CID was
probing the case, and a police constable had been suspended.
As per the autopsy report, Shelke died due to
poisoning, Pol said.
"Only one constable has been suspended? An innocent man
has been killed. He was not a terrorist to be murdered in
custody. It is the duty of the police to protect citizens, not
to go around killing them. This is abuse of power," said
Directing the secretary of state home department to take
remedial measures and action against guilty officers, Justice
Majmudar said, "It is the duty of the government to see to it
that higher police officials who were in charge of the police
station are inquired against."
The court also directed CID to continue investigation and
submit a progress report on April 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi