HC raps CID over sluggish probe against Kalani`s son
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday came down heavily on state CID for its tardy probe against Omie Kalani, son of Ulhasnagar MLA Pappu Kalani.
Omie along with two others was arrested on August 23 by CID in a case of alleged threat and assault on a person. The arrest was made after intervention from the High Court.
A division bench of Justices V M Kanade and P D Kode was hearing a petition filed by Ulhasnagar resident Sunil Sukhramani who alleged that he was threatened and assaulted by Kalani and his friends as they wanted his aunt to withdraw her candidature in municipal corporation elections last year.
Advocate Ganesh Gole, appearing for the petitioner, today argued that while arrest was made, the CID was not probing the case properly and had not made any attempts to seek further custody of Omie.
"You (police) arrest people where it is not neccessary and put them in jail. But in serious cases like this where immediate steps have to be taken the police does not do anything. This is the problem with police," Justice Kanade said, after perusing the remand note submitted by CID before a lower court.
The bench directed CID to file an affidavit on September 25 pointing out steps taken by the investigating officer regarding investigations in the case.
"Police should see what kind of picture they are painting about themselves before the society and public at large," the court said.
According to the petition, Sukhramani`s aunt had contested the civic polls against Papu Kalani`s wife Jyoti on February 16, 2012. It also said that petitioner`s aunt, Neetu, is the wife of Mahesh, who is a corporator belonging to the BJP due to which there was a hostility between the two families.
The petitioner said he was beaten up while police remained silent spectators. The complainant in this case, Prakash Kalwani, was assaulted when he tried to intervene.
An FIR was lodged in November 2011 under various sections of IPC and Arms Act against Kalani and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing