HC raps Maha govt over Pune land scam case
Mumbai: Rapping the Maharashtra government for its slow probe in the land grab scam in Pune, the Bombay High Court on Monday directed it to lodge FIRs in 18 cases where bogus orders were used under the Urban Land Ceiling and Regulation Act (ULCA).
A division bench of Justices BH Marlapalle and UD Salvi directed the additional collector and competent authorities to register FIRs within one week and submit a report by the end of this month.
The principal secretary of the Urban Development Department has also been directed to file affidavit by then.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by BJP spokesperson Madhav Bhandari alleging that bogus documents were used and orders passed under the ULCA.
The land scam was unearthed in 2005 when the deputy collector`s office received a forged certificate under the Act, declaring a plot near Pune as non-surplus.
According to the petition, Yogesh Mhase, former officer on special duty to the then deputy Chief Minister RR Patil, was also involved in the scam.
Of the shortlisted 29 files, FIRs have been filed in 11 cases, the government`s counsel said, adding that it would require six weeks time to scrutinise the remaining 18 files.
The court, however, refused to grant time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Attacks racist but have belief in Indian govt: African envoy
- Woman delivers in Delhi Police PCR van, both mother and child safe
- IPL 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad defeat Royal Challengers Bangalore by 8 runs to win maiden title
- Coal auction to get Rs 3.45 lakh crore; Rs 36k crore saving via DBT: Government
- Hardik Patel calls for stir against donations to schools, colleges in Gujarat