HC refuses MNS permission to hold Marathi Food Fest
Mumbai: In a setback for the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS), the Bombay High Court today refused to grant permission to the Raj Thackeray-led party to conduct a `Marathi Food Festival` from May 3-10 at Shivaji Park here.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice N M Jamdar while refusing relief observed that if permission is granted then the ground would not be available for sports activities.
MNS had moved the high court challenging an order passed by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) refusing to grant permission to conduct the festival at Shivaji Park on the grounds that it is a `silence zone`.
The corporation had, pursuant to High Court orders of 2005 in a petition filed by NGO Wecom Trust, declared Shivaji Park as a silence zone, where use of loudspeakers is prohibited.
The court accepted the arguments put forth by BMC and Wecom Trust that if permission was granted then it would create "nuisance" and result in damage to the ground.
"If permission is granted to one political party then it would open floodgate of such applications by other parties seeking permission. Food is not permitted inside the ground then how can permission be given to cook food inside," the NGO`s lawyer argued.
Earlier, in February this year also, the High Court had refused to grant permission to MNS to hold a public meeting at Shivaji Park.
The MNS in its application, before the court had said the food festival to be held from May 3-10 from 7-10 pm, was part of Maharashtra Day celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset