HC refuses stay on order for raising liquor consuming age
Mumbai: Refusing to grant stay on a notification increasing legal age limit to consume liquor from 21 to 25 years, the Bombay High Court today directed the Maharashtra government to file a reply to a PIL filed by actor Imran Khan.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice AV Mohta today said the matter requires consideration and hence it cannot grant stay on the September 26, 2005 rpt September 26, 2005, notification.
"The state government shall file its reply by April 15," the bench said, admitting the petition.
In September 2011, Imran Khan had approached the High Court challenging Maharashtra government`s proposal to increase the legal age limit to consume liquor from 21 to 25 years.
Senior counsel Milind Sathe, appearing for the actor, argued that under general law a person is considered as an adult after attaining the age of 18.
"At the age of 18, the person is allowed to vote and procure a driving license. Girls are allowed to marry at this age. The government cannot impose such an arbitrary restriction. A person of 18 years can make his own decision," Sathe said.
The actor after filing the petition had told reporters that the state government`s proposal infringes upon the fundamental rights of a citizen who lives in a democratic country.
"If the government has not banned sale of liquor then anyone above the age of 21 should have the choice of consuming it. A major can decide for himself what is right and wrong," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!