HC refuses to pass order on NIA plea for Pune blast footage
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday refused to direct Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) to provide copy of the CCTV footage of 2010 German Bakery blast in Pune to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), saying it would deal with the issue later.
The division bench of justices V K Tahilramani and Mridula Bhatkar was hearing an application filed by NIA seeking the footage.
The court said it would consider NIA`s prayer later, as it would start hearing the appeal filed by lone convict in the case, Himayat Mirza Baig, against the death penalty awarded to him by Pune court from August 8.
"We will consider NIA`s application at a later stage," the court said.
On February 13, 2010 a bomb exploded at German Bakery in Pune`s upmarket Koregaon Park, killing 17 persons including five foreigners and injuring 58.
The case was first with ATS, later NIA took over the probe. According to the central agency, the footage obtained by ATS shows the bomb being planted inside the bakery by Yasin Bhatkal, alleged founder of terror outfit Indian Mujahideen.
NIA told the court that the footage would provide clues regarding the planter and to also identify witnesses who would have seen him.
In April this year, the sessions court in Pune awarded death penalty to Baig, after convicting him under Indian Penal Code, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and Explosives Act.
According to the chargesheet filed by the ATS, five others -- Fayyaz Kagzi, Yasin Bhatkal, Iqbal Bhatkal, Riyaz Bhatkal and Mohsin Chaudhari -- are absconding.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know