HC refuses to pass order on NIA plea for Pune blast footage
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday refused to direct Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) to provide copy of the CCTV footage of 2010 German Bakery blast in Pune to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), saying it would deal with the issue later.
The division bench of justices V K Tahilramani and Mridula Bhatkar was hearing an application filed by NIA seeking the footage.
The court said it would consider NIA`s prayer later, as it would start hearing the appeal filed by lone convict in the case, Himayat Mirza Baig, against the death penalty awarded to him by Pune court from August 8.
"We will consider NIA`s application at a later stage," the court said.
On February 13, 2010 a bomb exploded at German Bakery in Pune`s upmarket Koregaon Park, killing 17 persons including five foreigners and injuring 58.
The case was first with ATS, later NIA took over the probe. According to the central agency, the footage obtained by ATS shows the bomb being planted inside the bakery by Yasin Bhatkal, alleged founder of terror outfit Indian Mujahideen.
NIA told the court that the footage would provide clues regarding the planter and to also identify witnesses who would have seen him.
In April this year, the sessions court in Pune awarded death penalty to Baig, after convicting him under Indian Penal Code, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and Explosives Act.
According to the chargesheet filed by the ATS, five others -- Fayyaz Kagzi, Yasin Bhatkal, Iqbal Bhatkal, Riyaz Bhatkal and Mohsin Chaudhari -- are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read