HC rejects PIL alleging role of CBI sleuths in extortion cases
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday dismissed a PIL alleging connivance of CBI officials with con men posing as CBI sleuths to extort money from various persons including Bollywood filmmaker Rakesh Roshan.
The petition was dismissed by a bench headed by Justice P V Hardas after CBI informed that its officers were not involved in such practices.
CBI further said that the agency`s special vigilance unit had conducted a probe into the matter and filed a charge sheet in the concerned court.
It also informed that the money extorted from the victims had been recovered from the accused. The agency, however, denied that the CBI officials had connived with the accused to commit extortion.
The CBI also filed a confidential report on the probe conducted by its special vigilance unit.
The PIL, filed by former scribe Ketan Tirodkar, alleged that two persons - Ashwini Kumar and Rajesh Ranjan - had posed as CBI officers and approached Roshan with an offer to settle an inquiry pending against him with the probe agency.
The scam came to light after Roshan filed a complaint with the CBI. It was learnt that the duo had duped several other persons too. The PIL alleged that the duo were being helped by a CBI officer.
"Roshan was impressed by the factual knowledge of the case details and the fact that there was evidence against him for the CBI to register a regular case and hence he paid Rs 50 lakh to the impostors," stated the petition.
The PIL said CBI had no jurisdiction to register and investigate cases of cheating under section 420 of the Indian Penal Code, even if a central government servant is involved. The petition said that Roshan`s case has diluted into a case of cheating at the instance of top CBI officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'