HC reunites minor girl with her parents
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today ordered city police to hand over the custody of a minor girl, who had eloped with her boyfriend in 2010, to her parents.
The girl and her boyfriend were produced before the Court today by the police.
The division bench of Justices Naresh Patil and A R Joshi ordered the police to take the boyfriend -- who is major -- into custody.
Earlier during the proceedings, the judges asked the girl whether she would like to go back to parents, to which she replied in the affirmative.
To run away was a mistake, she said.
The girl and the boy belong to the same community. After she disappeared, the girl`s mother moved the High Court, as police failed to trace her.
On the last occasion, the judges had said that strict action would be taken if police failed to trace the duo.
Recently, the girl`s parents, who live in suburban Mumbai, had informed the police that they had got a missed call from the girl sometime back.
Following up, police traced the two to Ooty in Karnataka. The girl told police that they were staying together there since 2010, but were not married.
Asked why she chose to stay for more than two years in Ooty and now wanted to return to parents, the girl told the Court that she was afraid that she may not be accepted by her parents. But now, she had mustered up courage to face the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez