HC reunites minor girl with her parents
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today ordered city police to hand over the custody of a minor girl, who had eloped with her boyfriend in 2010, to her parents.
The girl and her boyfriend were produced before the Court today by the police.
The division bench of Justices Naresh Patil and A R Joshi ordered the police to take the boyfriend -- who is major -- into custody.
Earlier during the proceedings, the judges asked the girl whether she would like to go back to parents, to which she replied in the affirmative.
To run away was a mistake, she said.
The girl and the boy belong to the same community. After she disappeared, the girl`s mother moved the High Court, as police failed to trace her.
On the last occasion, the judges had said that strict action would be taken if police failed to trace the duo.
Recently, the girl`s parents, who live in suburban Mumbai, had informed the police that they had got a missed call from the girl sometime back.
Following up, police traced the two to Ooty in Karnataka. The girl told police that they were staying together there since 2010, but were not married.
Asked why she chose to stay for more than two years in Ooty and now wanted to return to parents, the girl told the Court that she was afraid that she may not be accepted by her parents. But now, she had mustered up courage to face the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!