HC rules out bail to Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court ruled out any possibility of granting bail to September 2008 Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur here on Wednesday.
The court also said that it would direct the National Investigating Agency (NIA) to provide her good medical treatment for her breast cancer.
The Sadhvi had approached the court seeking to be released on bail for a few days, so that she could undergo surgery for breast cancer.
"The Sadhvi has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Besides this, she also has back problems due to which she is confined to complete bed rest. She would like to undergo treatment for her cancer, with her relatives near her and not police personnel," her lawyer Milan Desai argued.
NIA counsel Rohini Salian, however, opposed the bail plea, stating that the agency would provide her all treatment and assistance.
"We will take care of her. She will be operated upon. There is no need to grant her bail," she argued.
Agreeing with the NIA counsel, Justice R C Chavan said, "If the NIA assures good treatment, what is the problem? They are not hostile towards her. There is no question of granting bail."
The court further said that it would direct the prosecution to see to it that she gets good treatment and attendants to be by her side.
"Basic necessities like food and water will be provided. The Sadhvi can give a list of relatives she wants with her, so that the NIA will issue them passes," Justice Chavan said.
The court will pass its order tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers