HC says no to Anna`s PIL on liquor production from foodgrains
Nagpur: The Nagpur bench of the Bombay High
Court here has refused to hear a PIL filed by anti-corruption
crusader Anna Hazare against the Maharashtra government for
using foodgrains to manufacture liquor.
Justice S B Deshmukh at the division bench led by Justice
Sharad Bobde cited `not before me` as the reason of not
hearing the plea.
The PIL which came up yesterday, will now be listed
before another division bench most probably after the summer
The petitioners also including renowned social workers Dr
Abhay and Rani Bang, Dr Prakash Amte, Dr Narendra Dabholkar,
Dr Anil Awchat, Hiraman Wankhede and Sachin Tiwale moved the
court over the government`s decision to issue licenses to the
wards of influential politicians to produce alcohol from
They questioned the decision of the Congress-led
Democratic Front (DF) government to offer grants to projects
involved in production of alcohol.
The PIL alleged that Amit Deshmukh, son of Union Rural
Development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh along with Pratapsinh
Patil, BJP leader Gopinath Munde`s daughter Shweta Palwe, NCP
leader Govindrao Adik, and former state Health minister Vimal
Mundada are directly or indirectly engaged in making alcohol
All of them were made respondents in the case along with
the government and the State Excise Department Commissioner.
The other respondents included Yashraj Ethanol
Procession, Mallikarjun Distilleries, Shahapur Distilleries,
Grainotch Industries, Radico NV Distilleries, Vitthal
Distilleries, Adlars Bio-energy, Jogeshwari Beverages, Pranav
Agrotech, Victoria Agro Food Processing, Alco Plus Producers
and Pionium Industries.
The government had promised to review the policy,
but later granted licences and grants to politicians or their
sons, the PIL said.
Last year, a similar PIL filed by social worker Chetan
Kamble was dismissed by the Bombay High Court. Following this,
15 factories began producing liquor from foodgrains.
The concept was introduced by the government with a view
to ensure development of the backward regions of Vidarbha and
Marathwada. The government`s view was that alcohol production
from jowar will offer higher prices to farmers and boost
production. In other countries, there is a huge demand for
liquor from foodgrains.
After citing this example, the government approved the
proposal for foodgrain-based alcohol production despite stiff
opposition from the planning and finance departments, the High
Court was told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'