HC says no to Anna`s PIL on liquor production from foodgrains
Nagpur: The Nagpur bench of the Bombay High
Court here has refused to hear a PIL filed by anti-corruption
crusader Anna Hazare against the Maharashtra government for
using foodgrains to manufacture liquor.
Justice S B Deshmukh of the division bench, recused
himself from the case saying `not before me`. He, however, did
not cite any reason for not hearing the plea.
The PIL which came up yesterday before the bench led by
Justice Sharad Bobde, will now be listed before another
division bench most probably after the summer vacation.
The petitioners also including renowned social workers Dr
Abhay and Rani Bang, Dr Prakash Amte, Dr Narendra Dabholkar,
Dr Anil Awchat, Hiraman Wankhede and Sachin Tiwale moved the
court over the government`s decision to issue licenses to the
wards of influential politicians to produce alcohol from
They questioned the decision of the Congress-led
Democratic Front (DF) government to offer grants to projects
involved in production of alcohol.
The PIL alleged that Amit Deshmukh, son of Union Rural
Development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh along with Pratapsinh
Patil, BJP leader Gopinath Munde`s daughter Shweta Palwe, NCP
leader Govindrao Adik, and former state Health minister Vimal
Mundada are directly or indirectly engaged in making alcohol
All of them were made respondents in the case along with
the government and the State Excise Department Commissioner.
The other respondents included Yashraj Ethanol
Procession, Mallikarjun Distilleries, Shahapur Distilleries,
Grainotch Industries, Radico NV Distilleries, Vitthal
Distilleries, Adlars Bio-energy, Jogeshwari Beverages, Pranav
Agrotech, Victoria Agro Food Processing, Alco Plus Producers
and Pionium Industries.
The government had promised to review the policy,
but later granted licences and grants to politicians or their
sons, the PIL said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days