HC seeks ATR on unauthorised buildings
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday directed municipal and revenue authorities to file a report within four weeks on action taken against encroachments in the coastal stretch of south Mumbai, the area where the infamous Adarsh Society stands.
The direction came while hearing a PIL which alleged that encroachment is rampant in -- Colaba, Cuff Parade, Backbay and Marine Lines -- the areas under Coastal Regulation Zone where construction is restricted.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice S Kathawala asked Municipal Commissioner of Mumbai, Collector-Mumbai and Additional Collector (Encroachment) to file action taken reports (ATR) by December 23 and adjourned the matter to January 2011.
The PIL was filed by a residents association several years ago and after 2003 the authorities have filed no progress report despite an HC order, petitioner`s lawyer Rui Rodrigues said.
In 2000, the HC had appointed V Indulkar as a court commissioner to survey the entire stretch. In his detailed report dated January 31, 2001, Indulkar stated that several hundred unauthorised structures were built in the area in gross violation of law and recommended demolition of same, Rodrigues said.
An affidavit was filed by a co-petitioner on December 31, 2004 pointing out that that the government authorities have turned a deaf ear to the court commissioner`s suggestions and have not taken any action yet.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living