HC seeks ATR on unauthorised buildings
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday directed municipal and revenue authorities to file a report within four weeks on action taken against encroachments in the coastal stretch of south Mumbai, the area where the infamous Adarsh Society stands.
The direction came while hearing a PIL which alleged that encroachment is rampant in -- Colaba, Cuff Parade, Backbay and Marine Lines -- the areas under Coastal Regulation Zone where construction is restricted.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice S Kathawala asked Municipal Commissioner of Mumbai, Collector-Mumbai and Additional Collector (Encroachment) to file action taken reports (ATR) by December 23 and adjourned the matter to January 2011.
The PIL was filed by a residents association several years ago and after 2003 the authorities have filed no progress report despite an HC order, petitioner`s lawyer Rui Rodrigues said.
In 2000, the HC had appointed V Indulkar as a court commissioner to survey the entire stretch. In his detailed report dated January 31, 2001, Indulkar stated that several hundred unauthorised structures were built in the area in gross violation of law and recommended demolition of same, Rodrigues said.
An affidavit was filed by a co-petitioner on December 31, 2004 pointing out that that the government authorities have turned a deaf ear to the court commissioner`s suggestions and have not taken any action yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!