HC seeks details of pending cases from magistrate`s court
Mumbai: Bombay High Court on Thursday sought
details of pending cases from metropolitan magistrate`s court
following a PIL filed by a man whose case trial for a petty
offence has been dragging on for last two years.
The case filed by a traffic police against the petitioner
Anil Gidwani is as simple as (allegedly) parking his car in
no-parking zone. But the metropolitan magistrate`s court is
yet to decide on it.
Responding to his PIL, the Bombay High Court today asked
the court registrar to obtain details of pending cases from
37th magistrate`s court in the Esplanade court complex in
A report, indicating year-wise pendency, and nature of
cases shall be filed in three weeks, division bench of
Justices F I Rebello and J H Bhatia directed.
Gidwani`s car was towed away in April 2007 from the
pavement near Cooperage ground. He, however, alleges that he
hadn`t parked in no-parking area.
Since he refused to pay fine maintaining that he wasn`t
guilty, a case was filed first in the `morning court` where
petty offences are tried.
The trial began, but the traffic constable concerned
didn`t appear in the court for eight months. When Gidwani said
that he had lost faith in the court, the case was transferred
to the Esplanade court, where it is still pending.
Taking serious note of this, the High Court ordered the
magistrate`s court to dispose of Gidwani`s case in 30 days,
and sought report on pending cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'