HC seeks explanation on Pakistani national`s visa extension
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court asked the Centre for an explanation on Monday about why the visa of a Pakistani national who faces criminal charges here was extended for a long period of a year.
The court was earlier informed that Pakistani national Waseem-ur-Rehman Shah`s visa would be extended only for a period of 45 days for the purpose of investigating his criminal activities.
However, today the court was informed that his visa has been extended for a year.
A division bench of Justices AS Oka and AP Bhangale was hearing a petition filed by trustees of the Bhandup-based Dargah Hazrat Khwaja Mansurul Hasan Shah Kutubul Auliya, who are embroiled in a land dispute with Shah, who is the grandson of the sect`s founder, but happens to be a Pakistani national.
"On December 09, 2012, the court recorded the statement of the additional solicitor general stating that the validity of (Shah`s) visa was extended by 45 days due to pending criminal cases. But today we have been told that it has been extended by a year," the court said today.
Directing the concerned officer of the union government to file an affidavit, the court said, "The union will have to explain why the visa was extended for one year, especially in light of the fact that during his stay, criminal offences were registered against him for making inflammatory speeches".
The court also directed the municipal corporation to take action against any illegal construction put up by Shah in the dargah`s premises.
The matter will be heard further on February 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31