HC seeks explanation on Pakistani national`s visa extension
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court asked the Centre for an explanation on Monday about why the visa of a Pakistani national who faces criminal charges here was extended for a long period of a year.
The court was earlier informed that Pakistani national Waseem-ur-Rehman Shah`s visa would be extended only for a period of 45 days for the purpose of investigating his criminal activities.
However, today the court was informed that his visa has been extended for a year.
A division bench of Justices AS Oka and AP Bhangale was hearing a petition filed by trustees of the Bhandup-based Dargah Hazrat Khwaja Mansurul Hasan Shah Kutubul Auliya, who are embroiled in a land dispute with Shah, who is the grandson of the sect`s founder, but happens to be a Pakistani national.
"On December 09, 2012, the court recorded the statement of the additional solicitor general stating that the validity of (Shah`s) visa was extended by 45 days due to pending criminal cases. But today we have been told that it has been extended by a year," the court said today.
Directing the concerned officer of the union government to file an affidavit, the court said, "The union will have to explain why the visa was extended for one year, especially in light of the fact that during his stay, criminal offences were registered against him for making inflammatory speeches".
The court also directed the municipal corporation to take action against any illegal construction put up by Shah in the dargah`s premises.
The matter will be heard further on February 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened