HC seeks reply on PIL alleging parking lot scam
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday directed the Maharashtra government to file its reply on a PIL alleging corruption in allotment of public parking lots by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Minister of State for Urban Development Department (UDD) Bhaskar Jadhav.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice M S Sanklecha asked Advocate General Darius Khambata to file an affidavit by June 30 while hearing a PIL filed by social activist Pravin Wategaonkar.
Wategaonkar on Wednesday submitted an additional affidavit pointing out that if the government had earned a revenue of Rs 200 crore by clearing allotments of five parking lots then why it was not taking a decision on 16 other proposals when the drought affected state is in requirement of funds.
The PIL alleges that the Chief Minister and the UDD minister in connivance with each other have been charging exorbitant amounts for sanctioning proposals for allotment of public parking lots.
"There should be forensic audit of books of accounts of these developers to bring to light the bribes already paid for clearing these proposals," the PIL said.
Wategaonkar obtained information under the RTI Act which revealed that the government cleared three proposals for parking lots on June 20 last year, a day before the Mantralaya was gutted in fire.
He had had sought information on parking lot allotments from November 1, 2010 to January 30, 2013. The urban development department in its reply stated that the 21 proposals were submitted to the UDD and CM office. Of these, only five were sanctioned, while 16 are pending for approval.
The department, however, said it could not give more details as the files were destroyed in the fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers