HC slams govt for not obeying its orders on fake ration cards

Last Updated: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 18:04

Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today slammed Maharashtra government for not complying with its earlier orders on the issue of bogus ration cards and warned that it was giving one more chance to the state to follow directives or face contempt action.

The court had on October 25 last ordered the state to stop supply of foodgrains and other commodities to people holding bogus ration cards while asking the government to come out with a policy to deal with the issue by December 6, 2013.

As the government has not filed compliance report so far, a bench headed by Justice Abhay Oka today pulled up the state and said it was giving one more chance to comply with the court orders or else contempt action would be taken against the establishment.

The bench gave three weeks to the state to file a compliance report of its earlier order and adjourned to July 15 the hearing on a PIL alleging issue of bogus ration cards in the state.

On October 25 last year, another bench, while hearing the PIL filed by Jayprakash Unecha, had asked the state to forthwith stop the supply of foodgrains to holders of bogus ration cards.

The state was also asked to come out with a policy to tackle the issue.

"Once a ration card is found to be bogus, the government should stop supplying foodgrains and commodities to the holder of the card and also initiate steps to prosecute. Stop giving benefits to bogus ration card-holders. This is siphoning of government funds," the bench had said.
The government had in an affidavit filed earlier said that a committee has been formed and a report would be submitted to the chief secretary. But, nothing has been done till date, the court observed.

PTI

First Published: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 18:04
TAGS:

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus