HC stays criminal case against Justice Kolse-Patil
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday admitted
the petition filed by former judge B G Kolse-Patil and stayed
criminal proceedings against him in connection with a protest
against Jaitapur nuclear power plant in Ratnagiri district.
The proposed plant in coastal Maharashtra is being
opposed by locals and activists.
The division bench of Justices B H Marlapalle and U D
Salvi today stayed the proceedings, while hearing
Kolse-Patil`s petition seeking quashing of the FIR.
The FIR was registered against the former High Court
judge for entering Ratangiri district defying prohibitory
After Kolse-Patil moved the High Court, government had
informed the court in May that criminal prosecution was
initiated against him (and another activist) as he "willfully
breached" the prohibitory orders of the local magistrate.
Patil`s counsel, senior advocate Shirish Gupte, had
argued that after the arrest, Kolse-Patil was taken to the
site of the agitation instead of police station.
The bench had then sought to watch the video recording of
Kolse-Patil`s arrest and the mob protesting it. He is also
charged with instigating the protesters.
The court today remarked that prima facie it did not seem
that Kolse-Patil instigated the mob to become violent.
Questioning the police`s action of taking Kolse-Patil to
the protest site, the court admitted the petition and stayed
the criminal proceedings.
The petition will be heard finally in due course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof