HC tells MoEF to inspect dumping ground site near Kalyan
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has asked the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests to carry out inspection of a site at Umbide, near Kalyan in neighbouring Thane district, and state whether the place can be used as `a dumping ground`, for solid waste.
The division bench headed by Justice D Y Chandrachud asked the MoEF to file a compliance report on November 22.
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by Kaustubh Gokhale and others, against the decision of the local municipal authorities to use a ground near Adharwadi in Kalyan for dumping the garbage.
Kalyan-Dombivali Municipal Corporation did not follow the legal procedure before deciding on Adharwadi, they say, adding that Umbide was a more suitable place.
The site at Adharwadi may pose a health hazard, the PIL says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- First look of Emraan Hashmi's maiden home production 'Captain Nawab' out! - Pic inside
- Despite public outcry over images of man carrying dead wife, Odisha gives clean chit to hospital