HC tells MoEF to inspect dumping ground site near Kalyan
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has asked the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests to carry out inspection of a site at Umbide, near Kalyan in neighbouring Thane district, and state whether the place can be used as `a dumping ground`, for solid waste.
The division bench headed by Justice D Y Chandrachud asked the MoEF to file a compliance report on November 22.
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by Kaustubh Gokhale and others, against the decision of the local municipal authorities to use a ground near Adharwadi in Kalyan for dumping the garbage.
Kalyan-Dombivali Municipal Corporation did not follow the legal procedure before deciding on Adharwadi, they say, adding that Umbide was a more suitable place.
The site at Adharwadi may pose a health hazard, the PIL says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured