HC tells state to provide food to malnourished children
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court asked Maharashtra government on Thursday to provide food and nutrition on to malnourished children in Melghat and other tribal regions immediately to prevent malnutrition deaths.
Hearing a bunch of public interest litigations (PILs), a bench of Justices V M Kanade and P D Kode also asked the government to submit a report within two weeks on steps taken by it to tackle malnutrition in tribal regions.
Poornima Upadhaya, a member of a 15-member core committee appointed by the state to go into the issue, informed the court that the panel never met even once after coming into existence in March this year. Expressing its concern, the court asked the committee to meet and discuss ways to tackle malnutrition.
On a plea made by Gayatri Singh, Amicus Curaie (friend of the court), the court also directed the government to pay salaries of cooks and teachers, pending since two years.
Upadhaya submitted that currently 13,300 students were found malnourished in two blocks of Melghat region and of these, 3,000 were moderate to severely undernourished.
Upadhaya alleged neither do doctors visit tribal areas to fulfil their obligatory duty to serve in villages nor do they sign bonds, thereby causing loss of revenue to the government.
A post-graduate doctor has to sign a Rs 50-lakh bond, a super-specialist has to sign a Rs 2-crore bond while an MBBS doctor has to furnish a Rs 10-lakh bond, she said, adding the state never takes any action against them.
A PIL was filed by two doctors from Amravati seeking contempt action against the state and its chief secretary for not acting on the High Court orders to take steps to prevent malnutrition deaths while the other one was filed by Upadhaya herself.
A petition pointed out that in 2012-13, 475 children from Chikaldara and Dharni areas died due to malnutrition. Of these, 315 deaths were reported from Dharni. At least 200 `still born` cases were reported from these areas, the petition, filed by doctor Rajendra Burma and doctor Ravindra Kolhe, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?