HC to decide on allowing non-sports activities at Shivaji Park
Mumbai: Following a tussle between Maharashtra government and the BMC on whose responsibility it is to earmark 30 days of a year for non sports activities at Shivaji Park, any organisation that wishes to conduct a function there will now have to approach Bombay High Court.
The High Court had earlier directed the Maharashtra government to invite applications from various organisations that wish to conduct functions or rallies at Shivaji Park in central Mumbai and issue a fresh notification listing those functions that can be held at the park for 30 days in a year.
Under the Maharashtra Regional and Town Planning Act, the state government has the power to allow non sports activities in a play ground only for a period of 30 days in a year. As of now, the state government only allows functions to be held during Republic Day, Independence Day, Maharashtra Day and Ambedkar Jayanti.
The government today approached the court stating that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), which is the planning authority, has to ear mark the 30 days.
BMC`s counsel SU Kamdar, however, opposed this and said under MRTP Act only the state government has power to decide this and issue a notification.
The High Court today said it would now decide whether Shivaji Park was a recreation ground or play ground. While non sports activities can be permitted in a recreation ground, law prohibits use of play grounds for any activity other than sports.
Pending decision on this, the High Court said it would decide on applications of organisations that wish to conduct functions or rallies at Shivaji Park.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt