HC to hear Congress` plea for permission to hold Sonia`s rally at Shivaji Park
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday said it would hear on Thursday the petition filed by Mumbai unit of Congress against the decision of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai to refuse it permission to hold a rally at Shivaji Park here on December 28.
Congress` lawyer Rui Rodrigues said the rally, which will mark the party`s foundation day, would be attended by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party president Sonia Gandhi, among others, so the preparations were needed to start well in advance.
The Judges said they would hear the matter on October 3.
Advocate Dharmesh Vyas, Mumbai Congress general secretary, has filed the petition.
Mumbai corporation had rejected the party`s application in view of the High Court`s earlier order banning rallies at the sprawling ground in central Mumbai, which falls in `silence zone`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley