HC to Maha govt: Study 31 cases for probe transfer
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Tuesday asked the Maharashtra Government to look into transfer of probe from local police to state CID or other agencies in 31 cases and file a report within two weeks stating whether the mechanism to redress grievances of complainants at various forums was working properly.
The direction was given by Justice AM Khanvilkar and Justice AR Joshi, who clubbed a group of 31 petitions, which sought to transfer the probe from local police to CID or other agencies.
The judges had clubbed the cases as they wanted the state government to set up a mechanism or avenues to redress the grievances of complainants on transfer of probe before they approached the High Court.
The judges told the state to consider these 31 petitions as a `test case` and decide whether it would be justified to transfer the probe to CID or other agencies.
The state prayed that there was already a mechanism in place to redress such grievances and urged the bench to direct the complainants to exhaust the existing avenues before they approached the Court.
In an affidavit, the state said that a circular was issued on June 22 directing that a "Grievances Redressal Day" shall be observed once a week in each police station, wherein all investigating officers would remain present to attend to complaints of the people. Such information would be displayed at the police station or the website for public knowledge.
In each district, grievances can be lodged by people with Superintendent of Police, who is authorised to monitor the probe and transfer internally any ongoing investigation or direct any police station in the district to probe any case, the affidavit contended.
Similarly, in Commissionerate areas, the respective Commissioners of police are empowered like SPs to transfer the probe to any police station, the state said while explaining the mechanism to redress public grievances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's mushy love in 'Baar Baar Dekho' new still is just so aww!
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30