HC upholds bail to accused in murder case of Kaskar`s driver
Mumbai: In a setback to Mumbai Crime Branch, the Bombay High Court has refused to cancel the bail granted to Paulson Joseph Pailtra, an accused in the case related to murder of a driver of gangster Dawood Ibrahim`s brother Iqbal Kaskar.
A division bench of Justices PV Hardas and AM Thipsay, while dismissing the state government`s petition seeking cancellation of bail, said the police`s allegations against Paulson were "far-fetched and unreasonable".
Paulson and seven others, all members of Chhota Rajan gang, were arrested following an attack on Kaskar`s car in May of 2011. Assailants had opened fire upon the car, in which his driver Arif Abubakar Sayyed was killed.
According to the Crime Branch, Paulson had provided global SIM cards to one of the accused, Umed Ur Rehman, who used it to contact Rajan and plot the murder.
"Such far-fetched connection of the alleged offences with the SIM card and consequently with the accused does not seem reasonable. SIM cards as such do not have direct nexus with the communication between two members of organised crime syndicate. The use of a particular SIM card... Is only incidental," the High Court said.
Terming the prosecution allegations as "absurd", the court said, "Even if it is assumed that the global SIM card provided by the accused was used to contact Chhota Rajan, it would be difficult to accept that the conspiracy to commit murder was hatched by using the said SIM card."
The conspiracy would have nothing to do with which the SIM card was used by the conspirators, HC said.
The lower court had granted Paulson bail in July of 2011, but he is still in jail in connection with the murder of journalist J Dey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked