HC upholds conviction of Pune BPO rape-murder case accused
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Wednesday upheld the conviction of two persons accused of kidnapping, raping and murdering a 22-year-old BPO employee in Pune in 2007.
The accused - Purushottam Borate and Pradeep Kokade - were awarded death penalty in March this year by a sessions court in Pune.
A division bench of Justices V M Kanade and P D Kode today said it was confirming the conviction of the two accused but would pass an order on their sentence tomorrow.
"We are confirming the conviction. The trial court has not erred in convicting the two. But on sentencing we would like to hear more arguments from both the defence and prosecution lawyers regarding mitigating circumstances and so on," Justice Kanade said.
The duo were convicted under sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 364 (kidnapping), 376 (rape) and 302 (murder) among other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
While the prosecution had sought severe punishment of death for the two arguing that there is no chance of Reformation, defence lawyers had sought clemency on the ground that the duo had no prior criminal records.
Public prosecutor Revati Dhere had argued that the incident was pre-planned and pre-mediated by the two accused who knew that it was the victim`s last day in Wipro.
"They had prior knowledge. They conspired the abduction, rape and murder in advance," she argued.
According to the prosecution, the victim, a Wipro BPO employee working at Hijewadi IT park in Pune, had on November 1, 2007 boarded the regular cab contracted by the company to ply the employees to report for night duty.
The cab driver Borate who was accompanied by his friend Kokade, however, changed the route and took the victim to a remote place where she was raped by both of them.
The duo then strangled her to death using her `dupatta` and disfigured her face inflicting injuries with a sharp weapon to hide her identity.
The body was recovered the next day following which the two were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof