HC upholds conviction of Pune BPO rape-murder case accused
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Wednesday upheld the conviction of two persons accused of kidnapping, raping and murdering a 22-year-old BPO employee in Pune in 2007.
The accused - Purushottam Borate and Pradeep Kokade - were awarded death penalty in March this year by a sessions court in Pune.
A division bench of Justices V M Kanade and P D Kode today said it was confirming the conviction of the two accused but would pass an order on their sentence tomorrow.
"We are confirming the conviction. The trial court has not erred in convicting the two. But on sentencing we would like to hear more arguments from both the defence and prosecution lawyers regarding mitigating circumstances and so on," Justice Kanade said.
The duo were convicted under sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 364 (kidnapping), 376 (rape) and 302 (murder) among other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
While the prosecution had sought severe punishment of death for the two arguing that there is no chance of Reformation, defence lawyers had sought clemency on the ground that the duo had no prior criminal records.
Public prosecutor Revati Dhere had argued that the incident was pre-planned and pre-mediated by the two accused who knew that it was the victim`s last day in Wipro.
"They had prior knowledge. They conspired the abduction, rape and murder in advance," she argued.
According to the prosecution, the victim, a Wipro BPO employee working at Hijewadi IT park in Pune, had on November 1, 2007 boarded the regular cab contracted by the company to ply the employees to report for night duty.
The cab driver Borate who was accompanied by his friend Kokade, however, changed the route and took the victim to a remote place where she was raped by both of them.
The duo then strangled her to death using her `dupatta` and disfigured her face inflicting injuries with a sharp weapon to hide her identity.
The body was recovered the next day following which the two were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow