HC upholds life term to husband, two others for killing wife
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has upheld the life term awarded to a 27-year-old businessman, Parvez Sheikh, for killing his wife by giving her poison with the help of his family members.
The high court also found Parvez`s sister Shabana Shaikh and mother Khairunisa Pyoarejan Shaikh guilty of administering poison to the victim and upheld the life sentence awarded to them by the trial court.
The trial court, however, had acquitted the trio from the charges of subjecting the victim to cruelty under section 498 A of the IPC. This too was upheld by the high court.
"We find that the trial court did not commit any error by holding the accused guilty. We are of such a considered opinion as the said circumstances taken together within themselves from the formidable chain leading to sole such an inference of guilt of the appellants," observed Justices P D Kode and V K Tahilramani last week.
Parvez was married to Nagma and they were blessed with a child. Nagma stayed with Parvez`s family at Vile Parle in north-west Mumbai and the family was engaged in the gold and silver plating of articles.
According to prosecution, Parvez had taken loan of Rs 45,000 from Nagma`s father and did not return the money. Nagma often used to remind her husband about returning the loan as her father`s financial condition was not good. The family also used to harass Nagma at home on this count.
On December 4, 2006, Parvez went to his neighbour`s house and told them that his wife had consumed poison and was lying in the house. The neighbours went there and found that Nagma was not responding. They rushed her to hospital, where she was declared dead.
Nagma`s husband, sister-in-law and mother-in-law were arrested and tried for the murder. On June 25, 2008 they were convicted by the trial court. Being aggrieved, they filed appeals in the high court, which were dismissed and their life sentences confirmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy
- Asha Kumari appointed AICC incharge of Punjab