HC wants to know "factual position" on Thane illegal buildings
Mumbai: Bombay High Court on Thursday directed the Maharashtra government, Thane Zilla Parishad and planning agencies Cidco, MMRDA and MIDC to file affidavits stating the number of illegal constructions under their respective jurisdictions, and number of cases where action has been taken.
The division bench of Justices D Y Chandrachud and Amjad Sayed was hearing a public interest litigation filed by Harit Vasai Sanrakshan Samiti in 2007, seeking demolition of illegal structures in suburban Vasai in neighbouring Thane district.
The HC later extended the scope of the PIL to cover illegal structures in the entire Thane district.
"As two years have lapsed since the court heard this petition, we would like to know the exact factual position as of today regarding the number of illegal structures, number of notices issued to such structures, if any were demolished and number of structures which have got relief from the lower courts," Justice Chandrachud said.
The bench directed the state Urban Development department and other agencies to file affidavits by June 20.
It was brought to the court`s notice that in 2010, there were 21,0363 illegal structures in the district and under jurisdictions of Cidco, MMRDA and MIDC. The authorities had issued demolition notices to over 3 lakh structures. However, only 18,000 were demolished.
Advocate Uday Warunjikar, petitioner`s lawyer, also pointed out that following the Mumbra building collapse incident in the district earlier this month, where 74 persons died, local politicians today called for `Thane bandh` against the demolition drive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!