HC warns boy not to threaten suicide over sex chan
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Thursday warned Bhidan Barua, 21-year-old student from Guwahati, who wants to undergo sex change operation, that he cannot use pressure tactics and threaten to commit suicide unless his petition was heard and orders passed immediately.
The court summoned Bhidan`s lawyer Ejaz Naqvi after the student wrote a letter to the Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court and other authorities threatening to commit suicide if his petition was not heard immediately.
In the petition, Bhidan, who feels he is a woman trapped in man`s body, has urged the court to restrain his parents from prohibiting him to undergo sex change operation.
Following the summons from the court, Naqvi appeared before Justices S J Vazifdar and A R Joshi.
"Your client cannot indulge in such pressure tactics and threaten the court. As a lawyer you should understand the court`s difficulties also," Justice Vazifdar said.
The court had yesterday posted the matter for hearing on May 7. Refusing to hear the matter before that, the court told Naqvi that the petition would be heard on May 7 only.
Bhidan, in his letter, had also said that since his parents have blocked his bank accounts he does not have money for lawyer fees.
On this, the judge said if needed the court would appoint an amicus curie (friend of the court) to assist him.
Bhidan had written letters to Chief Justice of India, Chief Justice of Bombay High Court and National Human Rights Commission urging them to intervene and grant him a favourable order so that he could undergo the sex change surgery or else he will commit suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees