Heat wave conditions continue in Vidarbha region
Nagpur: The eastern part of Vidarbha region in Maharashtra continues to reel under intense heat wave conditions with the mercury hovering around 46 to 47 degrees Celsius this summer.
Neighbouring Chandrapur city and Bhamhapuri (a small township) recorded the highest maximum temperature in the region (47.3 degrees) with Nagpur coming a close second.
The heat in Vidarbha region this year not only made life miserable for citizens here but also for the live stock.
According to the Regional Meteorologicial Centre here, temperatures touching a high of 47 degrees is not new in Nagpur and it has breached this mark thrice in last ten years.
In 2003, it was 47 while in 2009, Nagpur had recorded 47.4 degrees and the following year (2010) mercury touched 47.3 degree celsius, Vijay Barapatre, Deputy Director General of Indian Meteorological Centre, here told a news agency.
He said Nagpur experiences the peak of summer during May when winds in afternoon are strong and gusty. The wind flows from northern part to eastern Vidarbha towards Chattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh and hence the high temperature.
The moisture in the air leads to clouds forming over the most of the region, bringing humidity, Barapatre said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened