Heavy increase in number of cops protecting VIPs and VVIPs
Mumbai: Sixty-one per cent of the Mumbai`s 46,000-strong police force has been assigned the job of protecting VIPs and VVIPs in the metropolis that has a population of over 1.25 crore, a whopping 1,184 per cent jump in deployment since 2007.
In 2010, nearly 13,010 cops were assigned for VIPs and VVIPs protection duty while the number rose by 48 per cent to 19,349 the next year. As on November 30 this year, 28,420 policemen were protecting VIPs, a 46 per cent jump since last year, an RTI reply received by activist Chetan Kothari said.
In 2007, there were only 2,213 cops performing such duties.
When asked to comment on the issue, Mumbai police commissioner Satyapal Singh said, "We have our own limitations. In a democracy, VIPs are more under threat than a common man. However, we are doing our best to serve people with available strength".
Lawyer Abha Singh, wife of IPS-turned-lawyer YP Singh, said that except people holding high official positions in the government, security should be withdrawn to others.
"Those actually fighting for change in the system are deprived of security, while protection is provided to those who have no threat at all. Some people enjoy security cover to show off their importance," Singh claimed.
Meanwhile, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) plans to hold a demonstration and a morcha outside Bandra Railway station (West) tomorrow to demand that the security for undeserving people should be withdrawn so that the police department will have more cops to investigate crime against women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?