Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai
Mumbai: After a long spell of scanty rains, the country`s commercial capital woke up on Monday to heavy rainfall which disrupted rail and road traffic. The weather office has forecast more showers.
More rain is likely in the next 48 hours, said a weather official.
Colaba in south Mumbai recorded 57.1 mm rain, while Santacruz in the north recorded 34.2 mm of rainfall till 2.30 pm Monday.
Rail and road traffic was hit and trains on the western and central lines were running late by 10-20 minutes.
Incessant rains left low-lying areas water-logged. Areas like Hindmata, Parel, Dadar and western suburbs were submerged in knee-deep water.
Traffic snarls were also reported on the two main Express highways.
Civic authorities said there was no reason to panic. Water pumps were installed in areas prone to frequent water logging.
Heavy rainfall is expected at isolated places in Mumbai, adjoining Thane city and several towns in Raigad district during the next 36 hours, a weather official said.
In other parts of Maharashtra, heavy rainfall is expected in the districts of south Konkan and Goa, and at Vidarbha in the next 24 hours.
Rain with thundershowers would also occur at many places in north Konkan and Marathwada, the official added.
Till Sunday, Mumbai received the lowest rainfall in the month of August with only 244.6 mm rain.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list