Heavy rains lash Mumbai, parts of Maharashtra
Mumbai: Mumbai and adjoining Thane were lashed by incessant rains since early on Monday, disrupting vehicular traffic at some places.
Parts of Marathwada region, including Beed, Osmanabad and Latur also received heavy rains, an official said.
Tansa dam, which is among the major dams supplying water to Mumbai, started overflowing since this afternoon, BMC sources said.
Many low-lying areas in the city and suburbs were waterlogged, leading to traffic snarls. They include western suburbs of Malad, Kandivli, Jogeshwari, Andheri and Santacruz.
Suburban train services on the Western Railway, Central Railway and Harbour Line experienced minor delay.
Some schools in suburbs were closed early to enable students reach their homes safely.
Parts of coastal Konkan also experienced substantial rainfall. In Thane, heavy rains led to waterlogging in places like Vasai, Virar, Palghar, Dahanu and Kalyan.
The rains brought cheers to farmers in drought-hit Marathwada where crops like maize and cotton got a new lease of life following the heavy rains.
Incessant rains are likely to continue in Mumbai and some other parts of the state for the next couple of days, the sources said.
In Marathwada region, maximum rainfall was recorded at Renapur tehsil in Beed district at 210 mm in the last ten hours.
Latur, too, is having incessant rains since midnight. Pangaon, Narotewadi and Khalangiri were the worst-affected, official sources said.
Minor and medium irrigation projects have seen rise in the water levels.
Good rainfall was recorded in all parts of Aurangabad district. Hingoli, Nanded, Osmanabad, Jalna and Parbhani districts also recorded satisfactory rainfall in the last 12 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM