Heavy rains lash Nashik, two killed
Nashik: A 70-year-old man and his four-year-old grandson were killed when their house collapsed at a village in the district following heavy rains, police said on Tuesday.
Following heavy rains lashing the city since Sunday, a house collapsed in Laman-Tanda locality of drought-prone Rankheda village in the district`s Nandgaon taluka last evening killing the two persons, a police officer at Nandgaon police station said.
The deceased were identified as Shrichand Lalchand Chavan and his grandson Somnath Gokul Chavan, he said.
Besides, a huge rock collapsed on Sinnar-Thangaon road in the district yesterday. There was no injury in the mishap, area tehsilar Sunil Soundane said.
He appealed people not to venture in isolated hilly areas owing to risk of landsliding.
Meanwhile, the heavy rains, after a week-long dry spell, have resulted in an increased water level in reservoirs and dams here.
The Gangapur dam, the main source of water supply to the city, has filled up to 91.3 percent of the capacity while Darna dam is filled up 94.4 percent.
The water level in other dams was also satisfactory, Nashik irrigation department`s executive engineer SK Bafna told PTI.
He said 528 cusecs water is likely to be released at 2 PM today following good rains in catchment areas of Gangapur dam and said the department has urged the district administration and Nashik Municipal Corporation to alert people residing on the banks of Godavari river.
The tribal-dominated Harsul in Trimbakeshwar taluka received 87.4?mm rains yesterday in just one-and-half hours which caused waterlogging of drains and markets in the city and led to flooding of lakes, a MeT official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony