Heavy rains lash Nashik, two killed
Nashik: A 70-year-old man and his four-year-old grandson were killed when their house collapsed at a village in the district following heavy rains, police said on Tuesday.
Following heavy rains lashing the city since Sunday, a house collapsed in Laman-Tanda locality of drought-prone Rankheda village in the district`s Nandgaon taluka last evening killing the two persons, a police officer at Nandgaon police station said.
The deceased were identified as Shrichand Lalchand Chavan and his grandson Somnath Gokul Chavan, he said.
Besides, a huge rock collapsed on Sinnar-Thangaon road in the district yesterday. There was no injury in the mishap, area tehsilar Sunil Soundane said.
He appealed people not to venture in isolated hilly areas owing to risk of landsliding.
Meanwhile, the heavy rains, after a week-long dry spell, have resulted in an increased water level in reservoirs and dams here.
The Gangapur dam, the main source of water supply to the city, has filled up to 91.3 percent of the capacity while Darna dam is filled up 94.4 percent.
The water level in other dams was also satisfactory, Nashik irrigation department`s executive engineer SK Bafna told PTI.
He said 528 cusecs water is likely to be released at 2 PM today following good rains in catchment areas of Gangapur dam and said the department has urged the district administration and Nashik Municipal Corporation to alert people residing on the banks of Godavari river.
The tribal-dominated Harsul in Trimbakeshwar taluka received 87.4?mm rains yesterday in just one-and-half hours which caused waterlogging of drains and markets in the city and led to flooding of lakes, a MeT official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!