Heavy rains paralyse Mumbai; BMC issues alert
Mumbai: Normal life was thrown out of gear and train services disrupted as heavy rains lashed the city for the third consecutive day Monday, following which the civic
body issued a high tide alert.
"Train services on Central Railway and Harbour line are
closed for sometime. We are continuously monitoring the
situation. Once the water recedes on tracks, we will start the
services," Central Railway PRO AK Singh said.
Water-logging has been reported from several areas and
all BMC-run schools have been closed.
"A tide measuring 4.63 metre will hit the coast soon. Any
tide above 4.50 metre is a high tide," an official from the
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said.
"Several hutments near the Mithi river have been
evacuated," civic officials said after water level rose to 4.2
metre. 33 people from a resort in Palghar were evacuated by
the Mumbai Fire Brigade.
According to the Met Department, Colaba recorded 178.6 mm
rainfall and Santacruz 232.6 mm since 8.30 am yesterday. The
weather bureau has forecast more showers.
Rains have also affected air traffic. "Visibility is
normal but flights are delayed by 10 minutes. Due to Kochi
airport closure two arrivals and four departures of that
sector have been cancelled," a MIAL spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM