Helicopter crash: Pilots may have saved many lives
Nashik: The presence of mind shown by the
two pilots of an Army helicopter which crashed here today in a
residential area may have saved many lives, a police official
Both the pilots died in the crash.
"Had the pilots bailed out immediately after noticing
fault in rotor blades, they would have saved their own lives,
but the helicopter would have certainly crashed into a densely
populated area, killing many more," he said.
The pilots -- Major Atul Garje and Captain Bhanu
Pratap Gupta -- averted a major tragedy, by steering the
helicopter towards a vacant plot of land, he said.
Major Garje hailed from Pathardi tehsil in Ahmednagar
district and was an alumnus of Sainik School, Satara. He was
blessed with a daughter a few months ago.
The pilots almost managed an emergency landing before
the rotor blade of the helicopter hit the terrace of a
bungalow, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner