High Court grants bail to Saquib Nachan`s son Shamil Nachan
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court granted bail on Monday to 21-year-old engineering student Shamil Nachan, whose father Saquib Nachan was an accused in the 2003 Mulund bomb blast case, observing that prima facie, no case was made out.
Shamil was arrested for allegedly opening fire at a VHP member Manoj Raicha in 2012.
According to the prosecution, Shamil and other accused conspired to murder Raicha, as he regularly prevented them from slaughtering cows during Ramzan.
Allegedly, the accused had fired at Raicha on July 23 last year, but it only managed to injure him.
Shamil`s advocate Rebecca Gonsalves had sought bail, stating that there is no evidence or witness statement to show that Shamil was part of the alleged conspiracy.
"The police has invoked stringent provisions of the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) as well as Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) in this case. This is not a terrorist act," Gonsalves had argued.
Accepting her arguments, Justice A M Thipsay granted Shamil bail, on a cash bond of Rs 15,000.
Earlier, during the hearing of the bail plea, the court had observed that the only reason Shamil was dragged into the case which attracted sections of the MCOCA and UAPA, was because of his father Saquib Nachan`s alleged involvement in terror cases.
Saquib Nachan had been arrested earlier for his alleged role in the 2003 Mulund bomb blast case and his alleged links with the banned Students` Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...