High Court grants bail to Saquib Nachan`s son Shamil Nachan
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court granted bail on Monday to 21-year-old engineering student Shamil Nachan, whose father Saquib Nachan was an accused in the 2003 Mulund bomb blast case, observing that prima facie, no case was made out.
Shamil was arrested for allegedly opening fire at a VHP member Manoj Raicha in 2012.
According to the prosecution, Shamil and other accused conspired to murder Raicha, as he regularly prevented them from slaughtering cows during Ramzan.
Allegedly, the accused had fired at Raicha on July 23 last year, but it only managed to injure him.
Shamil`s advocate Rebecca Gonsalves had sought bail, stating that there is no evidence or witness statement to show that Shamil was part of the alleged conspiracy.
"The police has invoked stringent provisions of the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) as well as Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) in this case. This is not a terrorist act," Gonsalves had argued.
Accepting her arguments, Justice A M Thipsay granted Shamil bail, on a cash bond of Rs 15,000.
Earlier, during the hearing of the bail plea, the court had observed that the only reason Shamil was dragged into the case which attracted sections of the MCOCA and UAPA, was because of his father Saquib Nachan`s alleged involvement in terror cases.
Saquib Nachan had been arrested earlier for his alleged role in the 2003 Mulund bomb blast case and his alleged links with the banned Students` Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren