High drama in Jalna hospital over baby `swapping`
Jalna: High drama was witnessed in Government Women and Child Hospital here when a woman alleged that she delivered a baby boy but a nurse handed her a baby girl.
Surekha Sunil Mehtre, a resident of this central
Maharashtra city, was admitted to the hospital after she
complaint of labour pain.
She delivered a baby on Monday and was told that a boy
had been born, following which the Mehtre family distributed
sweets and money among hospital staff and relatives.
However, the Mehtres were shocked when a nurse handed
them a girl child. The family alleged the baby had been
swapped after birth.
The father of the baby lodged a complaint with the
Kadim Jalna Police Station. In his complaint, he alleged that
the hospital staff interchanged the baby and demanded a DNA
test on the newborn to establish the truth.
Hospital Superintendent Datta Digaonkar, however,
claimed the nurse told Surekha she had delivered a baby girl,
but she did not hear it properly.
Officials at the hospital said allegations would be
looked into and if any error came to light, strict action
would be taken against the guilty.
The hospital has decided to conduct a DNA test of the
baby and set up a committee to verify the charges made by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karan Johar visits 'Befikre' sets, gets emotional cherishing 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' days!
- Bizarre: Man puts wife at stake in IPL gambling, loses her
- Awesome! Taapsee Pannu gives a dose of royal purple to her gorgeous tresses! – See pic
- Stunner Shilpa Shetty gives ultimate 'summer fashion' goals in crisp white!
- Is Delhi on terror radar? This week's bus explosion in Haryana hints at 'something big'