High number of girl child labourers in Thane
Thane: A recent study has revealed that the number of girl child labourers admitted in 13-odd rehabilitation centres in the district has shown a steady rise over a period of time.
Out of around 650 child labourers lodged in various shelter homes, being managed by NGOs, 375 are girls, said the director of National Child Labour Projects (NCLP) for Thane, BM Morde.
"The rescued child labourers are trained in the art of making various household articles which are sold in open market fetching good price," he said while addressing a one-day seminar on the issue in powerloom town of Bhiwandi near here.
Speaking on the occasion, the Thane district Legal Aid Authority secretary S M Chandgade expressed the need for undertaking measures to identify and rescue child labourers.
Children in the age group of 9 to 14 are typically admitted in the rehabilitation centres of which ten are located in Bhiwandi, one each in Mumbra and Navi Mumbai which impart training to the children.
According to officials, most of the labourers below 14 years of age, are found employed in powerloom, hotel industry and as well as maid servants.
The National Child Labour Project (NCLP) is a major scheme for rehabilitation of child labourers. Under the scheme, Project Societies at the district level are fully funded for opening up of special schools/rehabilitation centres for the rescued children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH