High number of girl child labourers in Thane
Thane: A recent study has revealed that the number of girl child labourers admitted in 13-odd rehabilitation centres in the district has shown a steady rise over a period of time.
Out of around 650 child labourers lodged in various shelter homes, being managed by NGOs, 375 are girls, said the director of National Child Labour Projects (NCLP) for Thane, BM Morde.
"The rescued child labourers are trained in the art of making various household articles which are sold in open market fetching good price," he said while addressing a one-day seminar on the issue in powerloom town of Bhiwandi near here.
Speaking on the occasion, the Thane district Legal Aid Authority secretary S M Chandgade expressed the need for undertaking measures to identify and rescue child labourers.
Children in the age group of 9 to 14 are typically admitted in the rehabilitation centres of which ten are located in Bhiwandi, one each in Mumbra and Navi Mumbai which impart training to the children.
According to officials, most of the labourers below 14 years of age, are found employed in powerloom, hotel industry and as well as maid servants.
The National Child Labour Project (NCLP) is a major scheme for rehabilitation of child labourers. Under the scheme, Project Societies at the district level are fully funded for opening up of special schools/rehabilitation centres for the rescued children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video