High tide alert in Mumbai as monsoon clouds come closer
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: With the southwest monsoon fast approaching, Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has issued an alert for tidal waves higher than 4.5 metres likely to hit Mumbai shoreline this week.
The MCGM, in its circular, stated that tidal waves higher than 4.5 metres are expected to hit the Mumbai coast from today till June 18, for which the civic body has made arrangements to prevent citizens from venturing near the sea.
Fifteen security guards have been posted at Gateway of India in South Mumbai from 10 AM to 6 PM and will prohibit people from going near the sea, the circular said.
Also, six teams have been made for sensitive areas in the metropolis where each will comprise members of fire brigade personnel, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and lifeguards. These will be deployed in areas like Girgaon, Dadar, Juhu, Versova, Aksa beach, Gorai beach and Chowpatty beach, where there are chances of flooding.
A special disaster control mechanism has been put in place, where a special team will be attending to emergency calls from citizens three hours before and after the scheduled time of the high tide, MCGM said.
Tidal waves measuring 4.38 metres had lashed the shores of Mumbai yesterday, which submerged several parts of the city under water.
Residential areas and playgrounds, dotting several parts of Mumbai including Colaba, Nariman Point, Girgaum Chowpatty, Worli, Shivaji Park and Mahim suffered from water-logging while massive waves lashed the beaches at Juhu, Versova and Gorai.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City