‘Highrise near INS Shikra security threat to Navy’
Mumbai: The Defence Ministry on Monday told the
Bombay High Court that there would be a security threat to
their naval installations if permission is granted to TCI
Industries to construct a high rise building on the land of
erstwhile Mukesh Mills in south Mumbai.
The ministry further pointed out that the construction of
the building would also pose danger to VVIPs and heads of
state of foreign countries, who use the helipad at the naval
installation of INS Shikra.
The MoD stated this in an affidavit filed before the
court which was hearing a petition filed by TCI seeking
permission to go ahead with the construction.
The affidavit filed by Gita Perti, Defence Estates
Officer, states that the probability of threat followed by
terrorist attack is high which can easily wipe out a large
chunk of air assets leaving a wide gap in war waging
capabilities of the Indian Navy.
"The helipad of INS Shikra is frequently used by VVIPs
and Heads of State of foreign countries and breach of security
of such VVIPs could undermine the credibility of the country
and have serious ramifications in international community,"
the affidavit states.
Additional solicitor general Darius Khambata submitted
that the primary ground for opposing development is security
Referring to the slums in the area, a division bench of
Justices P B Majmudar and Mridula Bhatkar said, "If that is
the case then you should have not let the slums also to come
In 2006, the Navy had objected to the construction on the
plot adjoining INS Shikra as a high-rise would be a threat to
the security of the naval establishment. The corporation had
then refused to pass the plan.
TCI Industries had therefore filed a suit seeking a
mandatory injunction on the corporation`s decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog