Hindu girl weds Muslim boy; now fears for safety of in-laws
Nagpur: A Hindu girl who married a Muslim
boy against the wishes of her parents has moved the High Court
praying for protection of her in-laws and husband from the
police and her own family members.
A division bench of Justice AP Lavande and Justice Pramod
Kode issued notices to the respondents including state home
secretary and Amravati Commissioner of Police among others
and ordered against taking any action till pendency of the
Petitioner Ayesha Fatima who belonged to a Hindu family
(Maternal name Sonal Jayaswal) was in a steady relationship
with Sajjad Hussein, both residents of Amravati, for last
couple of years, which was not acceptable to her family.
When her parents refused to let her marry Sajjad, the
couple fled and entered into wedlock as per Muslim rituals on
February 17 this year.
Her enraged family members then lodged a complaint at
Kotwali police station of Amravati against Sajjad and his
parents on which the cops registered an offence of kidnapping
under Section 366 of IPC, the petitioner said.
Ayesha has alleged in the petition that the police are
harassing her husband and in-laws at the behest of her
high-profile relative, who is a former legislator.
She was threatened by the police to return to her
maternal home or else they would lodge more offences against
her in-laws, it said.
Due to continuous harassment the couple fled the city,
following which the police arrested her in-laws on March 2
without a warrant and also took into the custody Sajjad`s
maternal uncle, according to the petition.
The notices issued by the bench to the respondents are
returnable in two weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal