Hindu group opposes controversial preacher Zakir Naik
Thane (Maha): A local Hindu group has come out strongly against the police decision to allow Islamic Research Foundation president Zakir Naik to speak at a meeting in the communally sensitive Mumbra township near here.
A delegation of Hindu Janajagurti Samiti will meet the District Collector and the Police Commissioner to submit a memorandum seeking cancellation of permission granted to him, district office bearer of the Samiti, Prasanna Dhage said.
A number of cases have been registered against Naik in various parts of the state for his derogatory remarks and he should not have been permitted to address the meeting, a release issued by the organisation said.
The Samiti had organised a protest demonstration in front of the district collectorate last Monday against the permission granted by Thane police to Naik, an Indian Muslim televangelist and founder of the Mumbai-based Peace TV.
The protest was organised after Naik hurt the feelings of Hindus after he allegedly questioned the very existence of Lord Ganesh, according to the press release.
State home minister R R Patil had recently asked the police to verify the "controversial" content reportedly posted by Zakir Naik on a social networking site.
"Patil had asked the police to examine and take appropriate action after reports appeared in a section of the media, claiming Naik posted controversial comments on a social networking site," a senior home department official said.
After the Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamna accused Naik of vilifying Lord Ganesh, Naik had tendered a statement of apology saying, "I am sorry if I have hurt sentiments or feelings of any person".
Naik also claimed that one of his staff members put up two quotes on his account which were not approved by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp