Hindu group opposes controversial preacher Zakir Naik
Thane (Maha): A local Hindu group has come out strongly against the police decision to allow Islamic Research Foundation president Zakir Naik to speak at a meeting in the communally sensitive Mumbra township near here.
A delegation of Hindu Janajagurti Samiti will meet the District Collector and the Police Commissioner to submit a memorandum seeking cancellation of permission granted to him, district office bearer of the Samiti, Prasanna Dhage said.
A number of cases have been registered against Naik in various parts of the state for his derogatory remarks and he should not have been permitted to address the meeting, a release issued by the organisation said.
The Samiti had organised a protest demonstration in front of the district collectorate last Monday against the permission granted by Thane police to Naik, an Indian Muslim televangelist and founder of the Mumbai-based Peace TV.
The protest was organised after Naik hurt the feelings of Hindus after he allegedly questioned the very existence of Lord Ganesh, according to the press release.
State home minister R R Patil had recently asked the police to verify the "controversial" content reportedly posted by Zakir Naik on a social networking site.
"Patil had asked the police to examine and take appropriate action after reports appeared in a section of the media, claiming Naik posted controversial comments on a social networking site," a senior home department official said.
After the Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamna accused Naik of vilifying Lord Ganesh, Naik had tendered a statement of apology saying, "I am sorry if I have hurt sentiments or feelings of any person".
Naik also claimed that one of his staff members put up two quotes on his account which were not approved by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP