Hindu group opposes controversial preacher Zakir Naik
Thane (Maha): A local Hindu group has come out strongly against the police decision to allow Islamic Research Foundation president Zakir Naik to speak at a meeting in the communally sensitive Mumbra township near here.
A delegation of Hindu Janajagurti Samiti will meet the District Collector and the Police Commissioner to submit a memorandum seeking cancellation of permission granted to him, district office bearer of the Samiti, Prasanna Dhage said.
A number of cases have been registered against Naik in various parts of the state for his derogatory remarks and he should not have been permitted to address the meeting, a release issued by the organisation said.
The Samiti had organised a protest demonstration in front of the district collectorate last Monday against the permission granted by Thane police to Naik, an Indian Muslim televangelist and founder of the Mumbai-based Peace TV.
The protest was organised after Naik hurt the feelings of Hindus after he allegedly questioned the very existence of Lord Ganesh, according to the press release.
State home minister R R Patil had recently asked the police to verify the "controversial" content reportedly posted by Zakir Naik on a social networking site.
"Patil had asked the police to examine and take appropriate action after reports appeared in a section of the media, claiming Naik posted controversial comments on a social networking site," a senior home department official said.
After the Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamna accused Naik of vilifying Lord Ganesh, Naik had tendered a statement of apology saying, "I am sorry if I have hurt sentiments or feelings of any person".
Naik also claimed that one of his staff members put up two quotes on his account which were not approved by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued