History-sheeter held for stealing lady cop`s service revolver in Mumbai
Mumbai: A history-sheeter was Tuesday arrested for allegedly stealing a service revolver of a lady police officer while she was on duty at suburban Juhu beach during the Ganesh idols immersion last year, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, Vadivel Ponnudurai Devendra (30) was arrested from Nehru Nagar shanties at Juhu and the revolver and two rounds were recovered from the spot where he had hidden them, police said.
According to police, Ranjana Salunkhe, inspector attached with Juhu police station, was on duty at Juhu beach on September 29 last year as the Ganesh idols immersed.
Salunkhe went to the washroom and kept her mobile phone and the revolver with 6 bullets near the window. The revolver could not be seen after a while following which she complained at the police station.
During the probe that lasted for six months, crime branch officials zeroed in on Devendra, who confessed to the crime.
Devendra had stolen the weapon under the influence of alcohol and fired four rounds in the air at an isolated place near Juhu aerodrome and then hid the weapon under a rock adjacent to the compound wall of the aerodrome, police said.
The firearm and two bullets were recovered from the spot, police said adding that the accused was earlier involved in murder, theft and assault cases among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets