Hoardings issue: Non-appearance by political parties annoys HC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday expressed displeasure over "no show" by lawyers or representatives of political parties which had been asked to appear in the hearing on public interest litigations against illegal hoardings, banners and posters in public places.
The bench headed by Justice Abhay Oka had last week issued notices to prominent political parties but no lawyer representing any of them turned up today.
The bench issued fresh notices seeking appearance of representatives of political parties on July 24 without fail.
Last week, the court had slammed the municipal corporations in Maharashtra for not filing compliance reports on its earlier order to remove the illegal hoardings.
The court has also made the Election Commission of India a party and asked its representative to appear at next hearing.
On February 21, another bench of the High Court had asked the municipal bodies to file compliance reports on the steps taken to remove illegal hoardings, prosecute the culprits and to recover taxes and fines.
Advocate Uday Warunjikar, lawyer for one of the petitioners, pointed out a March 15, 2013 order which had asked for removal of illegal hoardings within 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sinners offering money to temples for solace: Chandrababu Naidu
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS
- Randeep Hooda’s dream girl is beautiful – See pic
- Chemical factory blast sends shock waves in Dombivali near Mumbai; 3 dead, over 100 injured
- HC stays Haryana government's decision to grant 10% reservation to Jats, 5 other communities
- Unveiled! First teaser poster of Riteish Deshmukh, Nargis Fakhri's 'Banjo' – View pic